Monday 5 December 2016

THRIFTING FOR PROFIT – RESELLING IS A LASTING BUSINESS


By Adam Snyder

Thrifting for profit? Really, this is not click bait, I am serious that people are out there making great money by thrifting.
First off, thrifting is something that I do myself and I make great money with it. I simply go to different thrift stores, find items that can make a decent profit, and then sell those items somewhere else. My two favorite places to sell thrift store items are on Amazon via FBA (fulfillment by Amazon) and Craigslist.
Something that I want you to understand is that there are millions of different items out there that you can resell, but not all of them are going to be profitable. I can’t tell you the exact items that will be profitable since the initial investment will always differ and the demand for that particular product will never be the same. As with everything, supply and demand is one of the key factors in determining what something is going for.
Resellers have been in business for many years and I don’t see it stopping anytime soon. Ebay busted on the scene years ago to offer a marketplace where buyers and sellers could come together to offer goods. Although eBay was the first to really put a dent in this market place, it wasn’t until Amazon stepped in and made reselling what it is today. As a reseller myself I find that selling inventory on eBay and Amazon will give you the best and longest lasting business model. Think about it, why would you not want to expand your options when there is money to be made in so many different places?

PROFITABLE THRIFT STORE ITEMS

BOOKS

One of my favorite items to source at a thrift store are books. The biggest reason why I like to source books when sourcing is because there are always a bunch of them. Think about it, when was the last time you walked into a thrift store where they did not have any books? I bet you can’t remember the last time, right? This is because there probably was never a time when this happened. In many cases you will pay around $1-$2 per book at a thrift store, but if you can sell that same book for $15-$30, then you are making a great deal of money. Don’t look at books as obsolete, these are still being used today and are very valuable.

USED ELECTRONICS

When it comes to used electronics I am always looking for the next big score. Far too often people overlook used electronics because they don’t see the value in them. Many people buy used electronics because they can’t find the item they are looking for new. In most cases when a person has some type of electronic item for many years the company will just stop making that item. In this case the only option they have is to buy the item online for whatever it is that the person is selling it for. I like selling used electronics because I can normally set my own price and the buyer just has to accept it.

CLOTHING

Clothing is great to resell. Why? Simply because it is so small and lightweight. I sell clothing on Amazon FBA, but others sell it on eBay. I like Amazon because I can send all the items into the warehouse and I don’t have to touch it more than once. Now, with clothing one of the things that you need to keep in mind is that the sizes, colors, and designs will all play a huge factor in whether the item sells. I like to sell clothing that is neutral colors, in regular sizes and is new. Those are my requirements when I sell clothing and I make a good income doing it. The last thing I want to tell you about selling clothing online is that you should always keep a good amount in stock. The more clothing that you have in stock the more you will be able to sell.

SPORTING GOODS

Do you have any idea how much you can sell a used set of golf clubs for? Most people don’t realize this, but when you can buy a golf club from a thrift store for $2-3 and have a full set for less than $40, you can easily resell this locally for $100+. I have sold many sets of golf clubs in the past and the market just keeps getting bigger and bigger for these. One of the nice things about where I live is that I am surrounded by golf courses, which means that people are always looking for a set to use. Not only are golf clubs great to resell, you can also find bikes, bike racks, and hunting gear. All of these things are profitable, but just make sure you do your research before you start buying all this stuff thinking that you will make a killing instantly.

SHOES

I first want to mention that I don’t buy used shoes. You can make some good money selling used shoes on eBay, but I stick to new shoes on Amazon FBA. I do this because I feel that new shoes are a safer bet and they will make more money, but that is not the views of all resellers. If you currently or in the past have sold used shoes please comment below and let me know what your experience is with this. I am very eager to hear what you all have to say.
These are the items that I have either sold recently or am currently selling now. One of my biggest money makers right now is used electronics. I love to sell used electronics because some collectors and adults alike will pay top dollar for some handheld gaming devices that they just can’t find anymore. If you can come across a few highly profitable handheld games then why not sell them? Do yourself a favor and look at reselling in a completely different light because it truly is a long lasting business model.
I ask one thing of you – If you go out thrifting for profit what is the most common item/category or item that you find. I know items vary all over the country, which is why I ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment