Sunday 11 December 2016

HOW TO ESTABLISH WORK-LIFE BALANCE


Work life balance is more important than you think, but how do you establish work-life balance? What is the most important aspect of work-life balance?
Yes, working is important, but so is living your life.
Do you spend all day working and very little time with friends and family? This is something that I could relate to because I used to do this all the time. Now, I have established a work-life balance that benefits my family and also helps me stay productive.
A simple tip that I have for you before you start creating a balance in your life is to simply write down everything you do, when you do it, and for how long. Do this simple task for 1 week. At the end of the week add up all your totals and determine how much time you spent sleeping, eating, watching television, working, exercising, relaxing, and doing everyday tasks.
Once you have these numbers written down you will be able to see where most of your time has been spent. Now, I don’t know the exact percentages nor do I really care, but I do know what works best for me and my business. Below I break down my work-life balance so that you can get an idea of how I use my 24 hours.
  • 8 Hours Of Sleep
  • 3 Hours Playing With Kids
  • 5 Hours Doing Daily Activities
  • 10 Hours Working
  • .5 Hour Watching Television
Ok, so there are my numbers for each day, some days are a little different while other days are exactly what I outlined. Now, let’s break down my numbers even further so that you can see why I have that kind of work-life balance.
8 Hours Of Sleep
These 8 hours are not just the time I am actually sleeping, this is the time I lay down and then finally wake up. So to be honest it is roughly 7 hours of actual sleep.
3 Hours Playing With Kids
I have 2 young kids, so I spend a few hours every day playing with them. This includes doing homework, throwing the football around, playing a game, or doing some kind of activity.
2.5 Hours Doing Daily Activities
This time includes my 1.5 hour workout every day, about 30 minutes of eating, and another 30 minutes to do some household chores. Yes, I still do my own housecleaning as I believe that nobody is above cleaning their own home.
10 Hours Working
The amount of time that I work is split into 2 different sections. I will work from 6-12 and then again from 6-10. I split up my time as it works best for me to spend time with my kids and also recuperate in the middle of the day. This is a trick that I learned while living in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico as most businesses would close in the middle of the day and then reopen around 2 or 3.
.5 Hours Watching Television
As you have probably heard me say before, I don’t watch my TV. Why? Simply because I can be doing other things that will benefit me and my family much more. The amount of time I watch TV is a little crazy being that we have 9 TV’s inside our house.
***When football season rolls around I do spend a few hours each week watching the Seattle Seahawks, but that is it. I adjust my time accordingly.
As you can see, I don’t do anything extremely special throughout the day. I just know what works for me and I exploit it to the fullest. If you can figure out how to best layout your day then you will be able to be as productive as possible.

TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR WORK-LIFE BALANCE

Exercise Early
I like to get in my workout between 4:30 and 5:00am. By getting in your workout early you will be more awake early on in the morning and you won’t have to worry about taking time out of your day to exercise. Nobody likes waking up early to exercise, but as soon as they are done their day is so much better. Give it a try!
Run Errands Smarter
I see so many people driving around towns trying to run errands during peak hours? Why spend time waiting in traffic when you could drive around an hour earlier and miss all the rush? Why pay your bills locally when you can do them all online? Why drive back and forth across your city when you can be smarter about where you go and at what time. Be smarter when you do run errands.
Get Help
Do you have a spouse that can handle some of the stuff you do? If you are the only person who pays your bills, then I suggest teaching your spot. Not only that, hire a helper if you need one. Make sure you are spending very little time doing the things that are not making you money or improving your life and hire it out. Have somebody else mow your lawn. Get a young teenager to come over and wash your cars. Think of ways to get some help doing the things that you don’t have to be doing.
Utilize Downtime
Something that I have been able to do very well is utilize my downtime to my benefit. I run multiple businesses, so I don’t have a time where there is absolutely nothing to do. I could be writing a new blog post, creating a video, buying inventory for my Amazon business, answering questions on Youtube, replying to Facebook messages from clients, and even getting in a second workout of the day. Do whatever you want, but make sure what you do in your downtime is benefiting your life.
The last piece of advice I have for you is to simply get out there and do it. Make it a priority to establish a work-life balance for yourself. I guarantee that once you have balance in your life you will be much happier and more successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment