Sunday 3 July 2016

What is Amazon FBA?

So when I first heard about Amazon FBA (Fulfilment By Amazon) I got really excited and I'll now tell you why,..

By Julie  Čolan




I have dabbled with e-commerce (basically, selling physical items online) over a number of years - largely through selling in ebay and then packaging and posting (order fulfilling) those items myself. Anybody who has tried this approach knows that it can be a rewarding business model but does take a lot of effort and is hardly scalable (unless you happen to have a warehouse and logistics company!). 




When I realised that I could easily set up an account to sell items through Amazon that itself was a breakthrough as it's the platform that really dominates online sales. However, when I realised that, by using the FBA service, Amazon looked after the fulfilment of the orders (packaging, delivering, processing payment and any returns) I could see the potential was huge. In essence I just need to send my stock into Amazon (which is really easy and actually I don't even need to do that much myself - more on that in later posts), set the prices and then count the money (hopefully!).

I will get more into the detail around setting up your Amazon account, sourcing products, shipping products and all that good stuff in later posts but, for now, I just want to leave you with the thought that this model provides a really compelling offering to enable nearly anybody to have access to the worlds biggest online retailer with all of the benefit of their huge logistical network to take the pain out of selling online!

No comments:

Post a Comment